Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Do you ever notice that once you are obsessed with something, you see it everywhere?

If you have ever obsessed over something, you most likely know what I mean.

My latest obsession is vintage Cathrineholm kitchenware. I first caught a glimpse of a bowl I liked on the Rachel Ray show. I took a picture with my phone, so I could ask my friends if they knew where I could buy one. Then, I saw a post in a Flickr group I belonged to related to mid-century modern and my question was answered; the bowl was a Cathrineholm.
Thanks to a post of this bowl by Pardon My Vintage, I now know the maker and style-Cathrineholm Lotus!
Shortly after discovering who made the bowl, I became interested in collecting the pieces. I checked ebay and some online stores and found plenty to choose from. The hard thing is that there are a lot of Cathrineholm collectors, so on Ebay placing a winning bid is difficult when 10+ people are bidding against you. I scored my first piece of Cathrineholm while in Portland for Thanksgiving in 2008. A cute little retro store called Deco To Disco had a marvelous selection of housewares, so I asked the lady working there if she had any Cathrineholm. She walked over to a low shelf and pulled out a casserole dish. She asked me if it was what I was looking for and I, of course, said, "Yes!!!!!!". It would be mine for around $37. I then won an 11" bowl in a matching green color on Ebay a couple weeks later.
The start of my cathrineholm collection
So, now I see Cathrineholm EVERYWHERE! I see pieces in books and magazines. Most recently Domino magazine and Metropolitan Home had ads/articles displaying Cathrineholm pieces. I also found some images in a book called Kitschmasland.
Domino Magazine article with Cathrineholm dish in background
Kraftmaid Cabinetry ad with Cathrineholm bowls in background
Page from the book Kitschmasland by Travis Smith featuring a homeowner's cathrineholm collection
My quest continues to amass a collection of Cathrineholm. With so many colors in the Lotus design, I am finding it difficult to figure out what pieces to buy next. On my current wishlist are 8-11" orange and red bowls with the white lotus design.
Are these the cutest vintage housewares ever?!

No comments: