Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Coming soon to South Scottsdale: Avalon Restaurant

I have long championed South Scottsdale. I've lived in the area for about 7 years and can't even think of a place I'd rather live. I am always excited when I see something new opening within a couple miles of my house.

I was driving by 3 Palms hotel on McDowell yesterday when I noticed a sign that says "Coming soon". I did some investigating and found out that the building that has been under construction for what seems like more than a year is going to be an awesome contemporary restaurant named Avalon. Avalon's website

How cool is it that this is a stand-alone restaurant and it is not going into a strip mall or downtown Scottsdale. I think it was a risk to place a restaurant in this location because it isn't located amongst a bunch of other restaurants or shops and the area isn't a destination diners would normally think to visit.

This area of South Scottsdale has been seeing crucial revitalization for at least the last 10 years. Many locals might know this area on Mcdowell as the motor mile or Los Arcos area. We've seen Sky Song sprout up from the rubble of the old Los Arcos Mall. We've seen a non-descript vanilla hotel turned into the contemporary boutique hotel 3 Palms, and a host of other improvements along the street. If only someone was listening that is scouting locations for a Whole Foods! Please...bring South Scottsdale a Whole Foods!!!! Please!!!!

I will try to be one of the first people to dine at Avalon because I want to support the investment in our neighborhood. Everyone asks me if I go to Sprinkles, after hearing that I adore cupcakes. I always reply, "No. And, I probably will never go in there." I am a neighborhood girl through and through, which is why I support Lulu's cupcakes on McDowell and Miller. Lulu's cupcakes website They make the yummiest, all natural cupcakes in the most decadent flavors. My favorite is the chocoshnitzel, which is like a modified german chocolate cake with a coconut frosting. My husband loves the mood elevator, which is a chocolate cupcake with coffee frosting.

Places I still need to try out in the neighborhood are:
Scratch- a French Bistro at Miller and Indian School


Happy Feet Pet Salon and Nursery at McDonald and Granite Reef

No comments: